Friday, February 12, 2021

Introductory remarks.


I have always been bad with introductions, especially when I have to introduce myself. I sometimes tend to to over exaggerate things, it's because like everyone else, I've always dreamt of seeing my name in sparkling lights. I rather hate it when I do some injustice, but well modest is one of the most important virtues, right? Fortunately, there are some things I'm rather good at, like talking to people and sitting like a lady(one thing they teach very well at mission schools). I'm also very good at voicing out my thoughts and feelings. Anyway, these are stories for another day.

I'm Mitchel( not Obama). I go by may other names, all with different emotions and stories attached to them. But I would rather tell you of that I also go by the name DesertFlower. More like a pen name, the Mitchel with the capability to put words down on paper and make something out of it without really having to awaken some well hidden dark corridors I rather not face. DesertFlower is the innocent, pure, untainted and unapologetic writer who you would meet rather often here.

Starting a blog has always been my dream. I have always been postponing it for quite a while because I thought I was still too amateur for this kind of thing. But hey, a writer is just an amateur who decided to show their work, so here I am tainting these pages with ink hoping that someone will read my posts, hoping that someone will like the stuff, hoping that somehow my ideas have an impact on someone's life. Hoping that somehow, by choosing not to be an in the closet writer, my voice would be heard and together we can make quite a difference.

This blog is going to be something else. It's not based upon a single particular theme. Rather I'm going to write on quite a number of issues, which might be prose or poetry. Some popular features here will be my thoughts on feminism, on Africa, on culture, on technology, on love, on sex and a whole lot of things. On good days, I would even tell you of childhood stories and teenage experiences which shaped my views on life.

So the first question I will address is why the title Tug-It? I grew up in Insukamini, Lower Gwelo.  It is a very beautiful place, with great history dating back to the days of Mzilikazi. It's something like 25-30 kilometres out of Gweru. Geographers would call it peri-urban. So life in Insukamini is basically a tug of war in almost everything. There are diverging forces between  conservatives and the liberals, between preserving culture and adopting to modern life. There is a tug of war between rural life and urban life, between A.T.R and Christianity, between dreams and reality, between abilities and opportunity. In every aspect of life, there is always that dissenting force and if not careful, you quite lose yourself in the rush of trying to pick a side you truly belong to. As a result, Tug It seeks to pull apart this conflicting dilemma, to wreck apart the unfair things I have seen and experienced, to unveil a lot of stuff I have been taught to be the correct thing when all it ever did was result in my dehumanisation. So this blog is gonna break down walls of silence, of fear and unveil what has always been said to be taboo or too radical.

I'm looking forward to amazing and enlightening posts. I'm also looking forward to insightful views and comments. I hope you all have a great reading corner here.

Till next time

Mitchel.

6 comments:

  1. 😊 looking forward to a insightful conversations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated the humor in this inaugural post. I look forward to seeing some of your provocative writings on this platform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank youπŸ”₯the pen won't disappoint hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well. Looking forward to those childhood stories. And Technology. And Love. And on Life.

    ReplyDelete

GROWING IN THE SILENCES

See how nature_ trees,  flowers,  grass_ grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun,  how they move in silence. We need silence t...